At Choices, we’re committed to respecting and protecting your privacy.
Choices is the trading name of Choices Estate Agents Ltd, our registered company number is 2374716 and our registered office is 2d Carshalton Road, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 4RA.
How do we collect personal information about you?
We obtain personal information about you that you provide to us through our website, emails, phone conversations, documents you provide to us or when you visit one of our branches, for example when you:
- Enquire about specific properties for sale or for rent
- Ask us to value your property
- Register for our email newsletters
- Participate in one of our surveys
- Interact with us on our social media sites
We also obtain personal information relating to you using automated technical means when you visit our website.
What type of personal information is collected?
The information we collect from you might include (but is not limited to) your name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth and financial details and any other information you choose to provide to us.
The information we collect through our website using automated technical means includes: the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, identification number, online identifier and location data. We also collect information about your website visit including which website pages are accessed, page response times and length of visits to pages.
How long do we retain your personal information?
We review our retention periods for personal data on a regular basis, however, as the services we offer are relevant throughout an individual’s lifetime, we will normally only delete your data if you stop interacting with us for a prolonged period, or request we delete your information. We are legally required to hold some types of information for certain prescribed periods to fulfil our statutory obligations. Outside of specific statutory obligations, we will hold your personal data on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant purposes for which we use it, or in accordance with any retention periods set out in any relevant contract you hold with us.
How do we use your personal information?
We may use the information that you directly provide to us in the following ways:
- We may use your name, address and contact details for the purpose of carrying out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into by you and Choices, such as providing you with products and services you have requested, visiting and arranging viewings of your property. Our legal basis for this use is that it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are party.
- We may use your name, email address and postal address to provide you with information, you have requested from us, respond to enquiries or requests from you, communicate with you in relation to those enquiries or requests and arranging visits to your property by our staff. Our legal basis for this use is our legitimate interests, namely carrying out activities in the course of Choices’ business in response to customer enquiries or requests.
- We may use your name, email address and postal address to provide you with information regarding similar and related goods and services to those you have already enquired about or Our legal basis for this use is our legitimate interests, namely the ongoing marketing of our goods and services to individuals with whom we have an existing relationship in connection with our goods and services and/or who have expressed an interest in those goods and services;
- Where you have entered into a contract with us or we have provided you with services, we may use your name, email address, postal address or phone number to ask for your feedback about the services we have provided to you. Our legal basis for this use is our legitimate interests, namely evaluating and where necessary improving the quality of our service provision with a view to promoting the success of our business and positive customer relationships.
- Where you are a party to an existing contract with us or regularly enter into contracts with us for our goods and services, we may use your name, email address, postal address or phone number to notify you of changes to the terms and conditions of our services. Our legal basis for this use is our legitimate interests, namely the administration and management of our business contracts and relationships.
- We may use your name, email address and postal address to send you specific marketing communications you have chosen to receive. These may include information about properties for rent or for sale, the current property market, promotions or offers. Our legal basis for this use is both our legitimate interests, namely promoting the services offered by Choices and/or consent depending on the manner in which we have obtained your information. It will not be necessary for us to obtain individual specific consent to send you details of similar or related services offered by us about which you have already enquired and in which we have an honest belief you may be interested.
- We may use your identity documentation to verify your identity where we are required to do so by law or we believe we need to in order to verify and establish your identity for commercial reasons. Our legal basis for this use is compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject and our legitimate interests, namely ensuring the security of our systems, network and information and those of third parties and establishing your bonafides as a suitably qualified potential client.
- We may use information you provide to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other clients and potential clients about goods or services that may interest you or them.
We may use the information that we automatically collect using technical means through our website to:
- Measure or understand the effectiveness of our own advertising activity. Our legal basis for this use is our legitimate interests, namely improving the relevancy of our advertising;
- Measure or understand the effectiveness of our marketing emails. Our email marketing software stores email addresses under relevant categories so that we can communicate relevant information depending on your interests, the software allows you to unsubscribe in a simple straightforward way if you no longer want to receive a particular marketing communication, or you wish to stop all email marketing communications. Our legal basis for this use is our legitimate interests and/or
We may analyse the personal information we collect directly from you and obtain using automated technical means to create a profile of your interests and preferences so that we can contact you with information relevant to you if you have chosen to receive marketing communications from us. We may make use of additional information about you when it is available from external sources to help us do this effectively. These sources include both publicly accessible sources such as the Land Registry and credit agencies and private commercial sources who have collected relevant data in a legitimate manner.
We may also use any of your personal information that we collect from you directly and additional information about you from external sources where necessary to detect and reduce fraud and credit risk. These sources include publicly accessible sources such as the Land Registry and credit agencies as well as private sources that are not publicly accessible such as specialist data suppliers. Our legal basis for this use of your personal information is our legitimate interests in preventing our business being subject to fraud or credit risk.
Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may us this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Who has access to information?
We will not sell or rent your information to third parties.
We may pass your information to third party service providers, including but not limited to:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors working on our behalf for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you. These are:.
BLINC Tenant Referencing
BLINC Property Reports
Glide Utilities Ltd
Please note that this list is not exhaustive and may be added to any time.
- Advertisers and advertising networks including social media in order to select and serve relevant adverts to you. These are:
When we use third party service providers, we disclose only the personal information that is necessary to deliver the service and we have a contract in place that requires them to keep your information secure and otherwise use your information in accordance with applicable data protection law.
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group of companies; this means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and all its subsidiaries in which there is a common controlling interest insofar as reasonably necessary for the purposes set out in this policy.
We may disclose your personal information to our insurers and /or professional advisers insofar as reasonably necessary for the purposes of obtaining and maintaining insurance coverage, managing risks, obtaining professional advice and managing legal disputes.
In addition to the specific disclosures set out in this section, we may disclose your personal information where such disclosure is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person, or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in an administrative out-of-court procedure.
In this section we have summarised the rights that you have under data protection law. Some of the rights are complex, applying only in certain circumstances and subject to certain exceptions, and in the interests of keeping this policy concise, not all of the details have been included in our summaries. Accordingly, you should read the relevant laws and guidance from the regulatory authorities for a full explanation of these rights.
You have the right:
- To object to us processing your personal information for marketing purposes. If you object, we will stop processing your personal information for this purpose. When we collect your data, you can choose whether or not you wish to receive marketing communications from us. If you wish to stop receiving marketing communications, you can opt out at any time by clicking an ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of one of our emails.
- To access the information we hold about you and certain information about our processing of it and your rights in relation to it.
- In certain circumstances, to obtain erasure of the personal information we hold about you, subject to certain exceptions.
- To rectification of the information we hold about you.
- In certain circumstances, to restrict our processing of your personal information or object to us processing it. If you object, we will stop processing your personal information unless certain exceptions apply.
- Where our legal basis for processing your personal information is your consent or the performance of a contract and we process it by automated means, to be provided with the personal information we hold about you in structured, commonly used and machine readable format and to transmit the information to another controller.
- To not be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, that produces legal effects concerning you or similarly affecting you, subject to certain exceptions.
- Where our processing of your personal information is based on your consent, to withdraw that consent at any time. If you withdraw your consent, we will stop the relevant processing, but it will not affect the lawfulness of our processing before the withdrawal.
To exercise any of these rights, email us at gdpr(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)choices.co.uk or write to us at 2d Carshalton Road, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 4RA. In addition, you can exercise your right to object to direct marketing at any time by clicking an ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of one of our emails.
If you consider that our processing of your personal information infringes data protection laws, you have the right to lodge a complaint to a supervisory authority responsible for data protection. You may do this in the EU member state of your habitual residence, your place of work or the place of the alleged infringement. More information about lodging a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (the relevant UK supervisory authority) can be found at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.
Security precautions in place to protect your information
We take appropriate technical and organisational precautions to secure your personal information and prevent its loss, misuse or alteration. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
The transmission of unencrypted (or inadequately encrypted) data over the internet is inherently insecure, and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security of data sent between us over the internet.
Cookies allow us to provide important site functionality so you don’t have to re-enter lots of information. They also allow us to remember what links and pages you have been or viewed during a session. This helps us deliver a better, more personalised service to you.
It is possible to switch off cookies by setting your browser preferences. If you choose not to receive cookies, we cannot guarantee that your user experience of our website will be as effective as if you do receive cookies.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites run by other organisations. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of those organisations or the content of their websites. You should read the privacy policies of these organisations before providing them with any personal information.
Transferring your information outside of European Economic Area (“EEA”)
If you use our services while you are outside the EEA, your information may be transferred outside the EEA in order to provide you with those services.
Review of this Policy
We keep this Policy under regular review. This Policy was last updated on 22nd May 2018.
You can obtain further information about data protection laws by visiting the Information Commissioner’s Office website at www.ico.org.uk.
General Website terms and conditions of use
All content on this site, unless uploaded by users, is the property of Choices Estate Agents Limited, our affiliates or other relevant third parties. Content includes, but is not limited to; any text, graphics, images, videos and software. By continuing to use this website, you acknowledge that such content is protected by copyright, trademarks, database rights or any other intellectual property rights.
You must not copy, re-produce or distribute for commercial purposes, any content without written permission. This can be requested via info(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)choices.co.uk
You may not use the website in any way which causes damage to the website or interferes with another person’s use or enjoyment of the site, or in any way which is harmful, threatening or in breach of any law.
Any online services, tools or information are available through the website on an ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis. We give no warranty that the website will be free of defects or faults. Whilst Choices use reasonable endeavours to ensure the website is free of errors, viruses and malware, we give no warranty or guarantee and ask that all users take responsibility for their own security and personal information. Choices accepts no liability for any disruption or non-availability of the website and will not be liable to you in respect of any losses arising from events beyond our reasonable control.
Choices Estate Agents Limited reg. in England no: 2374716 | Choices Acquisitions Limited reg. in England no: 4351551 | Daniels Real Estate Limited trading as Daniels Property Services reg. in England no: 4206485
Registered office: 2d Carshalton Road, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 4RA
Telephone calls to our branches may be recorded for training purposes.